Tuesday 12 July 2016

Getting Serious!

Today is another step closer to flying out.  I have quite seriously spent the most part of yesterday and today scrambling to organise myself in preparation for my imminent departure. I've managed to scrape together travel insurance and money cards, get immune boosters, cut my hair and set-up my phone for global roaming. Mostly, I've been receiving and shooting off emails in a desperate panic to coordinate the last minute booking arrangements with the pilgrimage agency. Fortunately for me, I've had the aid of professionals in the diocesan head office who have contingency plans already in place to accommodate stragglers like me.


I've tried my best to get on top of things, but it doesn't stop the odd obstacle from jumping up. While trying to gather my possessions for packing, I found my sleeping bag stuffed in a corner cupboard, while its carry case had evidently decided to cease dwelling in the realm of existence. Thinking quick, I just tore the bag off an old folding camp chair and chopped it in half...solved! Then I remembered that the Bishop told me I would be serving Mass during our travels, but as a first year seminarian, I haven't even been fitted for, let alone own a soutane. But divine providence struck again as I was gifted with a perfectly fitted cassock left behind by a fourth year brother who recently left to study in Rome. Let me once again quote Isaiah (out of context):
And it shall be said, "... prepare the way, remove every obstruction from my people's way." Isaiah 57:14
Amidst the storm of preparations, I arrived back at the seminary last night for a mid-holiday debriefing and catch up with our first-year director Fr. B; who generously took us "first-years" out to dinner, where we dined on selection of Thai cuisine. After plenty of sleep, we awoke and attended Mass at the seminary for the first time in over three weeks. It felt great to be home again.

About mid-morning I had my own meeting with Fr B. where we discussed the events of my holidays and how I was managing alone and away from the familiar structure of the seminary. After delivering my own verbal reel of highlights, Fr B. proceeded to give me pointers on how I might approach the pilgrimage so as to not completely wreck myself leading up to second semester of first year. His advice, like always, was very practical. "Stay hydrated, eat well, get plenty of rest and avoid overstepping your bounds... Stick to your spiritual routine, but don't panic if obstacles crop up. Learn to 'adapt and prosper at all times'... Most of all, don't forget you are a seminarian now; so act like one." All of this I have recorded, so anyone reading this might scrutinise my level of success based on future posts. I wonder if that's a good idea?

This may come as a surprise, but I am still totally unaware of which plane I will be catching and when. I will be meeting with the diocesan coordinators tomorrow in order to pick up the pilgrim pack containing all I need to know, and to receive the most late-notice pilgrimage briefing of all time. As I write these words I can literally feel the excitement rising in my chest. This is really happening! God is good!

Stay tuned and please pray for me.
Sam.


No comments:

Post a Comment